Sunday, November 6, 2011

Dancing!

If you have read my earlier blogs on singing, then you may have gathered that I teach the preschool through 5th grade Sunday School choir, at my church. Every week I try to switch things up, sing different songs, do different warm ups, anything that will help me keep the kid’s attention. This last week however was interesting in itself, and will probably be a class I will not soon forget.
This last Sunday at church there was an African Methodist church visiting to show us how they would traditionally conduct their services. They opened the service with some African music calling to God. But what really fascinated me was all of them looked engaged. Not one of them looked tired or bored throughout the entire service. On top of that they were all having fun, and saying hallelujah every time something really spoke to them.
After the service is when my class begins. It started off as it would any other week. But shortly after I had started teaching, the children of the visiting church all came to sing with us. They followed along with the motions and tried their best to sing the choruses. It was so cute! I decided it would be fun for them to sing a song for us, rather than the other way around. A little girl came up and said she had a song she wanted to share. Her little brother came up with her and they started singing the Itsy Bitsy Spider. They were so adorable.
After they were done singing, I asked them to go back to their seats so we could sing another song. The little girl did as I asked but her brother just stood there, about a foot away from me, looking straight up. When I asked him if he wanted to go sit down, he just looked at me and shook his head no. Then not knowing what to do, I asked him if he wanted to stay up by me. He shook his head yes and never took his eyes off me for the rest of the class! The whole time while I was working on the song with the other kids, he just stared. As we sang No Mountain High Enough, all I could think about was how cute this boy was and when he started to dance it was a sight I will never forget.

(401 words) 

No comments:

Post a Comment