Sunday, May 27, 2012

Surgery #1 v.s.

A few months ago I went to the orthodontist and I was told I needed to go see peritonitis as soon as possible. The gums in the front of my jaw had been hurting and apparently this wasn’t a good thing. During my appointment I was told I had a receding gum line and that the sensitive parts of my teeth that were supposed to be covered up were not. Also they informed me that if I didn’t get surgery on my mouth it was very likely that the roots of my front bottom teeth would pop out of my gums and that would not be good thing.
Because of my busy schedule and the peritonitis offices busy work schedule it was very difficult for me to get an appointment for my surgery. My mom had been calling time after time to schedule a time but it never seemed to work. Finally completely out of the blue the peritonitis called and said they had an open slot the next morning at eight. My mother told me when I got home that night from showchoir practice and let me tell you I was very nervous!
When I went in for the surgery Dr. Kalberg was very calm and comforting but still I managed to cry my eyes out before they even touched my mouth. Before they started the surgery I decided I would listen to my I-pod and close my eyes for the entire procedure. I did not want to see what they were doing in my mouth. The first thing they did was numb my entire bottom lip and the right side of the roof of my mouth. It took three shots of Novocain and a lot of squinting of my eyes before my mouth was sufficiently numbed.
After I was numbed, to be completely honest I’m not entirely sure what happened. I know they sliced all of the connecting tissue between my lip and my gums. I know they cut a piece of skin off the top of my mouth and then they put it down on the tooth and used dissolvable stitches to hold it on. After everything was stitched up: roof of my mouth, gums, and the connecting tissue, they put on band-aids. I had one on my gums and one on the roof of my mouth. I had to keep each on for a week and when I went back they took off the one on the roof of my mouth but put a new band-aid on my gums.
The healing processes for my first surgery was quite monotonous. All I could do was lay on the couch miserably rolling around in pain. When I was sore we would use the blender to make ice, which molded perfectly to my face, when I was hungry I sipped smoothies from a spoon, when I was tired I tried, fruitlessly, to sleep. I felt horrendous for two weeks and people brought me balloons, coffee, roses, and pumpkin juice. I ate only liquids for two whole months. What a joy my first surgery was.
(515 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment