Monday, February 27, 2012

Skinny Bitch, Book Review

I chose to read the book, Skinny Bitch, because when I was writing my Vegetarian Synthesis for this class many of my facts were coming straight from the pages of this book. After reading bits and pieces of it, I was very interested and I really wanted to know more so when people asked why I am a vegetarian I could give them a complete answer. This book was challenging for me to read for three reasons. One, all the talk about how cruel the workers are in slaughterhouses presented many emotional challenges for me. Two, all of the medical jargon, when talking about health, was sometimes very confusing and difficult to follow. And three, the book was so jam packed with interesting facts that I wanted to remember, but couldn’t. However in spite of all these things, the book was still a very interesting read and anyone interested in being a vegetarian should definitely put this on their reading list!
                The hardest section of this book to read was the few chapters about animal cruelty in slaughterhouses. Some of the things these workers do to the animals are so horrific I just couldn’t bare to read it. I had to take reading breaks between every few pages just so I could clear my head and sometimes take a few minutes to just cry. Once I even found myself getting physically sick and I had to skip over a section of the book and return to it later. I don’t understand how people can be so cruel to the poor innocent animals. This was by far the most challenging part of reading this book.
                Another major section of this book was about how eating meat and other animal by products can affect your health. These chapters were very difficult to read because there was a lot of medical jargon that I didn’t understand. I often found myself going back and rereading pages, and sometimes even chapters, of the book just trying to understand what was being discussed. Also with all of the big medical terms, I usually had to read with a dictionary by my side because sometimes I would find myself looking up three to five words on every page just trying to understand the topic being talked about.
                The last challenging aspect of reading this book was trying to remember all the facts. Because this book doesn’t follow a story line, I wasn’t as concerned with remembering specific information regarding characters and happenings in the book. I was however trying to remember all the facts I could and this was very challenging because I felt as if I was reading a college textbook. It was one fact after another and even though most of it made sense, I still had a terrible time trying to remember everything. By the time I was done reading the book, I had highlighted many things and ear flapped many pages so I can go back and reread the interesting facts when I want to.
                Even with all of the mental and emotional challenges that came with reading this book, it was still a very good choice in literature. I thoroughly enjoyed learning all the vegetarian health facts and next time someone asks me why I’m a vegetarian, I will be able to give them a very good answer. I feel as if reading this book helped introduce me to a different type of reading that I had never tried before and I am very interested in reading other books like this in the future. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about being a vegetarian and just staying healthy in general. It was a great book and I never wanted to put it down.
(628 blogs)

No comments:

Post a Comment