Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest

The reason I chose to read the book, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest is because it is the third, and final book in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series. I was very excited to read this book because the first two books in the series were very engaging. This book was challenging to read for many reasons. Throughout the book many story lines are taking place, there are many new characters not included in the first two books, and also unlike the first two books there is a lot of government lingo that I do not understand. However in spite of all the challenges that come with this book, I still heavily encourage everyone to read it.
The main reason why this book is challenging is because of the entire Government lingo! Plus the fact that the government in the book isn’t even American! This makes the book challenging to read because the book will suddenly switch into a government officials point of view and with all the big words and complex sentences I often find myself having to reread multiple pages at a time. Also along with the lingo I’m unfamiliar with, they bring up past trials and big incidents that happened in Sweden that I know nothing about! I then would find myself not understanding anything they were talking about and sometimes I would even have to Google some of the incidents mentioned so I could continue to follow the story line of the book.
Another big reason why this book was challenging is all of the new characters that have suddenly been introduced into the series. Throughout the past two books the characters have stayed basically the same, but once I started getting into The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest many new and confusing characters have entered the mix! Also because they all live in Sweden and have Swedish names I sometimes cannot seem to pronounce the names and then get confused with who is who. Another confusing detail is the fact that I feel as if all the new male characters have names that start with E. Such as Edklinth, Evert, and Ekstrom. When looking at them they may seem like very different names but when all of the new characters are being introduced around the same time it becomes very confusing. Yet one more confusing detail is that many of the new characters are good but some of them are also bad! It’s sometimes hard to distinguish what characters are on the good side and bad side leading yet again to reading many pages over at a time trying to understand what’s happening.
The final reason that this book is challenging is that throughout every chapter there are many different characters talking in their own point of view. There are the old characters and the new characters and the parts where all I see is a bunch of government talk that I don’t even know who is apart of. Also because it just switches in the middle of the chapters it’s hard to follow who is talking, especially if who they are talking to doesn’t say their name shortly after the conversation starts. Because of all of the characters and all of the story lines some of which go together, some of which don’t have anything to do with the other, this book can be very challenging to go along with.
Even with all of the challenges that come with this book, it is still very good. I actually like all of the challenges in this book because I feel as if all of the learned vocabulary and government lingo I will be able to better understand other books with confusing story lines such as this book. Like the other two books in the series, I still find myself not wanting to put it down, and if anyone is looking for a book to read I highly suggest that they start with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and read through The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest. The book is very intriguing and I just don’t want the series to end.
(698 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment