I am a vegetarian! There are many reasons why my mother, four of my friends, and I choose to not eat meat! Some of my friends have reasons like not liking the taste, seeing an animal slaughtered, health benefits, and just because they felt like it! One of my friends even says she is a vegetarian because she thinks it’s rude to kill the things that we as a people share our world with. However my personal reason is because I feel bad for the animals.
Two years ago my family and I went on a vacation to Europe! It was fantastic and I would love to go back as many times as possible, but that is a topic for a different blog! On the second to last day of our trip, we were walking up and down a strip in Barcelona. While my mother and father were looking at a restaurant’s menu, I was looking through the restaurant’s window and what I saw changed my opinion on meat entirely! I saw what I thought was a skinned dog! At that moment my parents decided this was the restaurant we were going to be eating at! As I was looking over the menu I noticed that nothing in this restaurant was served without meat! I saw pork, beef, chicken and last but not least baby veal! This is what sent me over the edge! Why would anyone want to eat a poor little lamb, let alone a baby lamb! I immediately started bawling, telling my parents over and over I couldn’t eat meat ever again! I ran to the bathroom and stayed there for about 20 minutes before my mom came in a told me she had ordered me some fried vegetables! Thank the lord, NO MEAT! I later found out that dog was really a baby pig, but I had already made up my mind to be a vegetarian, and till this day still am. (326 words)
· If the entire world only ate meat, the world would run out of food in 2 months. However if the entire world only ate vegetables, we would never run out of food!
· “Death of heart disease is as unnecessary as dying of drug abuse, yet it is taken as a normal thing” – Dr. Julian Whitaker
· Finland and the United States are the 2 countries that eat the most saturated fat and cholesterol and also have the highest death rates from heart disease.
· If diabetic citizens eat foods only with LOW fat and HIGH fiber, insulin pumps and medication would not be necessary.
· The United States is the largest supplier of sugar in the entire world.
Lyman, Howard F., and Glen Merzer. Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat. New York: Touchstone, 2001. Print.